Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sydney - Getting Out to the Burbs

Everleigh Market
On Saturday morning I told the Dodo I was taking her out to the burbs. She didn't seem too excited to go - she kept asking me for the destination but I only said "a market." We hopped on a train for a few stops south to a neighborhood called Darlington. Our destination was the Everleigh market - a farmer's market that only takes place on Saturday.

There's nothing like fresh produce to perk up the Dodo. She immediately came out of her gloom and studied each stall like a chef who was preparing a 20-course meal that evening.

I focused on the treats. We bought a brownie for her sis. We also samples all kinds of things: duck sausage, wheat crackers, cookies, you name it.

I got myself an ice cream sandwich that was ok, nothing exciting. Dodo wondered if these types of markets would do well in Singapore. I have a theory - these markets do best in countries where the link between farm and table has been broken. If you've been shopping in giant supermarkets your whole life, you get to feel close to the land when you shop at a farmer's market. In Singapore - most of the food is fresh and prepared in front of you, on the spot. You may have to go swanks to make it work in Singapore - artisanal chocolates and that sort of thing.

No comments: