Sunday, August 29, 2010

Singapore - Fort Canning Park

Highest Point in Downtown
I wouldn't have believed I was surrounded by downtown's tall buildings if I hadn't left them ten minutes prior to clambering to the top of this tiny park. At 200 feet it's the highest point in the central business district and is thought to be the burial site of ancient Malay kings dating back 600 years. When the English arrived and started building a fort on top of the hill they couldn't convince the locals to help - it was then known as Bukit Larangan, which means "forbidden hill."

It's now known as Fort Canning hill after the fort built in the 1850's, named for the first viceroy of India. There is little of the fort left, the main attraction is now the park grounds, which consist mostly of narrow walkways up and around the hill. It was a very hot day when I visited but I could feel the temperature drop ten to fifteen degrees under the canopy.

I imagined how the entire city-state used to look like this, a shady green tropical forest. If everyone were to leave, this jungle would probably take over again quickly.

I'd not seen actual jungle vines before - only on Tarzan. They're much thicker than I imagined and I can now see that they'd hold up with someone swinging on them.

The variety and shades of green were amazing. Everywhere I turned there were plants growing on plants growing on plants.

After 45 minutes I arrived at the gate, the only remains of what once was a huge fort. As in most cases, the journey was better than the destination. I sat for a while and took in the sights and sounds.

After climbing down the northern slope of the park, I tried to record the cicadas - I regret not doing so while deep inside, far away from the hum of the modern world. I hope you can hear them.

2 comments:

Sal said...

I could just barely hear 'em. Here, that sound is a sure sign of deep or late summer. Lovely.

FN said...

@Sal - It was a much more high-pitched buzzing, very loud but pleasant.