Sunday, August 8, 2010

Maldives - the Critters

The Fish are the Stars of the Show
However, if you don't have an underwater camera you have to focus elsewhere. One day we saw a grey heron drinking water on the lounge deck. He stood there so still that I wasn't sure he was real or part of the decoration.

The white-breasted waterhens were very bold. They constantly traipsed around the beach, near the restaurant and left small arrow-shaped tracks.

Dodo was quite fond of the small crabs that carried around white shells on their backs. They were everywhere. We're not sure but we think the crabs go find an abandoned shell and make it their own. They're about the size of an American nickel.

About the only sea life I could capture a photo of was this stingray. They're plentiful but hard to capture on film.

One evening Khartik took us to the edge of a pier to watch the shark feeding. Turns out, the sharks rarely had a chance - the jacks were so much faster. In case you've connected the word "shark" with the word "snorkeling" in your mind, don't worry - these are the kind that are harmless. When you watch this video, you'll see the sharks near the surface, lumbering to grab the tossed pieces of tuna. The jacks are the nimble shadows that outrace them to the food. On an earlier fishing trip, I would try to catch some of these jacks and now I know why it's so damned hard to do.

5 comments:

MaCherie said...

Stingrays and sharks? No thanks man, I'm a weenie.

FN said...

@Mach - all that time in Wake and you're still a weenie? Serious?

MaCherie said...

Heck yeah I'm still a weenie! And I wasn't on a nice pretty beach, it was a big coral (dormant) volcanic rim. There were (reef) sharks and barracuda everywhere! Not to mention the rest of the sea life. I went kayaking and deep sea fishing, but there was only one place I wasn't scared to get in the water. I ended up chest deep in the lagoon at nighttime once, and was scared for my life. I'd like to come see you do it :P

FN said...

@Mach - I would do it just so you would have to do it! Competitive family in the HOUSE!!!

MaCherie said...

LOL. You know I wouldn't back down either! I will NOT be outdone!