Sunday, August 8, 2010

Maldives - Yoga

Listen to the Sound of My Voiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice
I like Yoga. Rather, I like it after I do it - it really loosens me up good. Check out the yoga pavilion - out over the water with a view into the lagoon. So relaxing. Our instructor was a Indian guy whose name escapes me now. He was a doctor of yoga. I didn't know you could become a yoga doctor, but since it was on his nametag, I believed it. I was on vacation and ready to be gullible.

This is me, pre-yoga. Notice how tense I appear. I've got one of those "oh boy, what have I got myself into looks." Dodo and I were the only ones for the 9am session. We sat on the mat and the doctor began. He spoke in a very slow, relaxed manner. I'd not experienced this before. After a particular stretch he would say things like "noooooooo-tissssssssss the efeeeeeeeeeeeeeekt on youuuuuuuuuuuur bowwwwwwwwwwwww-deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee." It worked - it forced you to slow down as you listened to him.

When we chanted ohm, I tried to match him but fell short every time. I think he can exhale for about 2 minutes. It was really incredible. We focused on the major joints - hips and shoulders and did some stomach strengthening exercises and my all-time favorite: hamstrings. I am being facetious, by the way. Dodo would later take a yoga course with him called "yoga for the mind" or some such thing. The focus was on meditation. She'd been snorkeling so much before hand that when it came time to train her mind on one image all she could see were fishes.

No comments: