Monday, August 9, 2010

Maldives - Spa

More Water Views
Our hotel specialized in Indian-style massages and spa treatments. Not that I know a lot about this type of thing but when I looked at their menu that's the feeling I got. You could opt for various natural oil treatments where you are slathered with strongly-scented oil, sit in an old-fashioned steam box and then take a shower. You could also opt for a mud bath, where you are covered in mud and you lay on these warm tile beds, below.

Every treatment seemingly included a relaxing nap on an outdoor deck afterwards, which makes sense considering the locale.

We opted for a basic massage, the head to toe variety. We had female masseuses, both Indian, but one looked like she was from China. One of our waiters was an Indian who looked Chinese too. He explained that he was from one of the very northern Indian states, near the Tibetan border. Made sense when he was talking to me, with 20/20 hindsight. It was just a real strange thing to see. The massage was pretty good, though I didn't fall asleep.

We also made use of the steam room. I'd only done this once before during my trip to India. Pretty basic: sit in the steam room and sweat like a pig for 10 minutes, take a shower afterwards and then sit out on the deck. Dodo went a few times. I did it twice and grew to like it. I found it very difficult to breathe in the steam cloud.

No comments: