Saturday, August 7, 2010

Maldives - Testing out the Lagoon

I Was the First One In, Sorta
You readers know that the kid doesn't necessarily like water. I like looking at it, cleaning with it, drinking it - I just don't like to swim in it. Sensing the low tide, however, I made my break. I'd been awake perhaps 20 minutes and wasn't thinking clearly. There were about 9 ladder rungs in total and 6 were showing. The water felt a bit cool so I just made a quick move in. It was very shallow, only to my waist, I had to kneel to get the water over my shoulders. I spent about 5 minutes in and then came back up.

Dodo then took her turn. She was raving about how clear the water was.

Later on, she donned the snorkel equipment to make a more serious inquiry. This shot encapsulates the entire holiday - she fell completely in love with snorkeling.

She was out there for quite a while, floating around, kicking once in a while. She saw stingrays and all sorts of colorful fish near the coral. She'd come back up the ladder, rinse off in the outdoor shower, excitedly tell me about her latest sighting and then pop back in.
"You have to try it babe!! Take the mask and go!!" I reluctantly put the equipment on and looked down the ladder. The tide was coming in and now only 4 rungs were showing. I went down slowly, heart racing, one step at a time. When the water was near my neck and there was one more rung I hesitated. I made a lazy show at jumping off, still holding on the ladder, flailed a bit and then came right back up. "Sorry Dodo, too deep for me." I was so happy to be back on the deck I didn't even care how pitiful I'd looked.

4 comments:

MaCherie said...

This earned a true laugh out loud moment for me. You must be the side of the family that I get my fear of the ocean from lol

FN said...

@Mach- fear of the ocean? I don't even take baths, kid. Showers only. Hey, I didn't know you're scared of the ocean. Perhaps you should come on the inevitable scuba trip?

MaCherie said...

HA!! Maybe...

FN said...

@Mach - don't be scared, you're in the military - you guys aren't scared of nothing.