Monday, December 15, 2008

Paris Redux - Day 9

A Walk Around the Marais
I spent most of Sunday afternoon walking around my local neighborhood, the Marais. It is one of the older Parisian neighborhoods and as such has many narrow roads. This is a shot of Rue de Sevigne, looking south.

This is Rue de Sevigne, looking north.

Ecole des Beaux Artes, a primary school, is also found on Rue de Sevigne.

It has a sobering reminder of times past. The sign reads "From 1942 to 1944, more than 11,000 children were deported from France by the Nazis, with the active participation of the French Vichy government, and were assasinated in the death camps because they were Jewish. More than 500 of those children lived in the 3rd Arondissement, a number of whom went to the Rue de Sevigne primary school, which became the Parisian Beaux-Arts school."
A few blocks away, Rue de Rosiers houses many of the area's Jewish eateries. I like the bright yellow of the Sacha Finkelsztajn bakery - it is a welcomed burst of color in the dreary afternoon rain.
A peek inside the Finkelsztajn window was tempting but I didn't go in. I will be back to try it another day.

2 comments:

The Puff Speaks... said...

Oh my... a blog entry this early? What time issit Grumpy?

Hey, I remember this street.. think we got to explore it together because the pilots decided to go on strike and we got to spend an extra weekend exploring together :)

Did you buy tea for me????

FN said...

You can schedule them, Pinguino, to post while you are asleep... Which is exactly what I did.

Yep, got you tea. Went to Damann, sniffed it out, ordered it by number, paid, etc (all in French - I even sniffed in French!!)