Sunday, December 14, 2008

Paris Redux - Day 8

Are they Heartier, or Is it the Smoking?
It's cold and damp but you wouldn't know that from looking at folks in the street. They walk around without umbrellas in the rain and sit outside at cafes with the temperature in the mid 30's. I feel like a wimp, I have a fleece on underneath my leather coat and have an umbrella at all times. Then it hit me....every one of these folks I see is a smoker. Is that what keeps em outside at the cafes?

A Change of Pace in the 16th Arondissement
I got on what I thought was the No. 70 bus this morning with the intention of heading to the left bank. Instead, I'd gotten on the No. 72 and I had no idea where I was going. I sat back and enjoyed the ride. We headed west along the Seine for miles. When I finally got off I learned I was in the 16th Arondissement. I stepped right off the bus into a bustling market.
Anything and everything edible was for sale. I marveled at the egg stand - there had to be close to 12 different types of eggs. Some small, some larger and a variety of names and shades. If I had a way to cook, I would have bought some and tried em out.

Instead, I opted for a kilo of Spanish Clementines. They are really juicy and delicious.
A Note About the Arondissements

A picture is worth a thousand words. All you have to do to understand the arondissements on Paris is start at 1 and imagine you are drawing a clockwise spiral.
I stay in the 4th, which is dead center. As you can see, the 16th is an outher borough.

2 comments:

The Puff Speaks... said...

I have been duped.. when I got a mail message that the blog has been updated, I went to check the pufflist only to be disappointed. No new entries... Pufflist is being left behind :(

Hey, the market looks familiar.. looks like the one I went to when you "escaped" to Versailles for lunch... That's also the market I bought the best clementines we had during our last trip.

FN said...

No, the message said there is "another blog out there for you to go read", referring to this one, Puffin.

Not sure if it's the same or not. I didn't see a tram. Anyway, the clementines are VERY good.