Sunday, December 7, 2008

Paris Redux - Day 1

The Worst Part of the Trip
The first day is always a struggle - you have to fight the jetlag. I have my own special formula: don't sleep at all on the plane and try to stay awake until nighttime. My approach was helped considerably by the fact that I arrived at the hotel at 7am and no rooms were available until 3pm. So, what to do? Eat, of course. I headed down the street to an old favorite: Patisserie Heurtier.


They have a comfortable upstairs lounge and plenty of windows to look out of.

I ordered breakfast and people-watched. The plaza in the background hosts a market twice a week, which I visited previously. Not too many folks out early - Sunday is a truly sleepy day in Paris. It is bone-chillingly cold - either that or I am so tired that I am extra-cold.

This should help. Tartine and chocolate croissant, fresh oj and a cafe creme, followed later by another cafe creme. Nothing says welcome back better than this simple breakfast. Tasty as always.

After breakfast I walked for a few hrs and then headed back to the hotel and waited for my room to come available. When it finally did, around 2pm, I took a nap and am now watching the Giants - Philadelphia game on my laptop. I am still amazed by the Slingbox technology. It works like a charm. GO GIANTS!!!

2 comments:

The Puff Speaks... said...

Hmmm... I do miss Paris' cafe creme... there's this touch to it that other places cannot immitate.

Wished I was there to watch your Giants match with you... cause for once I would be supporting the winning team.. Opps!

FN said...

Oh man, so it was you who jinxed my team??

GRRRRRRRRRR!!