Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Paris Redux - Day 3

Jetlag? What Jetlag? Sure, Let's Have a Four Hr Dinner
Not sure who thinks up these things, but every time I fly over to Paris, we have a "welcoming" dinner the first day. Last night was no exception. It is a finely-tuned torture. I like eating out, especially on the company dime but I am so deprived of sleep the first few days that I don't usually enjoy myself too much. Last night we went to a restaurant that is known for its wine, called "Bistro du Sommelier." It is headed by Philippe Faure-Brac, who was voted the World's Best Sommelier in 1992. He welcomed us and spoke about the first wine of the night, in French.

My french is not so good, but I think it went something like this: "this wine, from the xxxxx region, known for skiing, models and diplomats, presents a bouquet reminiscent of prunes, salmon and a hint of sea salt. It suggests decadence and a sad resignation to things long lost....."

The dinner lasted from 7pm to 11:15pm and included 5 food courses and 7 wine courses. Throughout the dinner, I daydreamed about sleeping.

4 comments:

The Puff Speaks... said...

Haha.. funny how you make a fine (definitely very costly) dinner sound so torturous...

No mention of the food at all? Issit that forgetable?

FN said...

The food was pretty good, pics and write-up are coming.... Stay tuned.

Sal said...

It's a travesty when you're so tired that good food is torture. I loved the description of the sommelier's wine talk!

FN said...

Sal, I can tell you that my description is not too far from reality. He could BS in two languages with ease.