Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Kid Does it Again....

Somehow......
I've been dreading my Paris to Tokyo flight. Twelve plus hours in a middle seat. I called ANA last week to beg to be moved to an aisle seat. Their advice, get to the airport 3 hrs early and "if you're lucky, something will have opened up." Three hours early? That would be a personal record. This morning, I wake up to find out there is a transit strike on the train that goes to the airport AND it's the year's first snowfall - about an inch. The gods are conspiring against me! I take drastic measures - I leave the office at 2:45pm for a 7:45pm flight via taxi. NOTHING is gonna stop me!

I arrive at the airport around 3:30pm and study the empty, roped-off check-in counter. I study an ANA placard showing exactly where the ropes open up for economy class check in and I plop myself there. After an hr, as they open up, there are already 20-30 people behind me. I approach with a warm smile and ask politely "are there any aisle seat available?" "I will check Monsieur." Her face gives nothing away as she types. Not looking good, I think to myself. She then hands over a business class boarding pass. "Monsieur, I'm afraid I cannot get you an aisle seat but you will be very comfortable in business class, n'est-ce-pas?" I nearly jump in the air and feel the desire to high-five her repeatedly.

- Posted from the Charles de Gaulle airport.

1 comment:

The Puff Speaks... said...

What can I say... lady luck must be shining on you.

So you gonna try this 3 hours ahead of flight time trick again???