Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Beauty

And the Suffering
Paris and Tokyo are both fashion-plate capitals. You would never see a woman on the streets without makeup and high-heeled boots in either place. Tokyo, from my point of view, is just that much more obsessed with beauty. Case in point - the almost universal use of fake eyelashes. You can buy them in the store and put them on yourself or, better yet, you can go to a shop and have them professionally glued on so they last 30 days. I became quite obsessed with eyelashes - they are impossibly long and curved - I kept trying to see if I could discern the fake from the real. Something tells me they're like fake tits - if they're done well you won't know.

It gets even stranger - you can buy a special glue that you paste on your eyelids at night to wake up to a "second crease" that makes your eyes look bigger. Asian women don't have a second eyelid crease and glue-makers must be looking for new markets. Pingles was a sport and tried it out - but it only made a small, unfinished second crease on one of her eyes. I'd post that photo - but she threatened me with physical voilence....

Lastly, women in Tokyo wear the highest high heels and the shortest mini-skirts I've ever seen - and in much colder temperatures than their Parisian counterparts. There is nothing about the female Tokyo outfit that says "comfortable" to me. I wonder what they look like without their makeup and fancy gear on.

No comments: