Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sea Kayaking Anyone?

Hailing from SG, No. 27........
I was absolutely sure I wasn't going to go sea kayaking. Let's face it, I'm a big chicken when it comes to water. I pictured Pingle acting silly, tipping it a lot and teasing me. So, when we got to the floating city I stepped out towards the sea kayak dock just to act macho. I wasn't going to do it. I looked dumbly at Pingle as she pointed to the life vest. I didn't move. Maybe if I just stand here and don't move she'll leave me alone....

We all know how this turns out, right? I put the life vest on and faster than I liked, some Vietnamese kid was ushering me to the side of the dock, he used his left foot to hold the kayak still. Pingle got in first. The kid handed me both oars and then pointed at the back seat. I took an uneasy step in and it felt like I stepped onto butter. The kayak slid away from me slightly - enough for me to drop the oars and steady myself. They clanged onto the pier and announced to everyone "hey look, the guy is a panicky loser!" I sat down into the wet seat and pushed away from the pier with one oar. I'd locked my camera onto the top latch of my life vest and shortly after we left the pier, I laid my oar across the kayak to fetch it. Pingle was still rowing, taking us further and further into the still bay.
I was again reminded why it's good to date a younger, strong, Chinese girl - she can paddle you around a sea kayak as you lay back and take photos and video. Thanks for the ride Pingle!!

2 comments:

Sal said...

Do you say the kayak was tippy? Or that in stepping in, you slid it out seawards?? My little banana yellow kayak is very stable, once you get in.

Good for you for trying it, kiddo.

FN said...

Both actually, it slid away from me as I stepped in AND it was tippy. Especially with silly-girl paddling all over the place, leaning into each stroke...