Sunday, August 9, 2009

Happy Birthday

Singapore is Forty-Four Years Young..,
Today is National Day, a celebration of Singapore's independence from Malaysia, just 44 years ago. Obviously, people have been here for many centuries, but as with most places, you tend to celebrate the last yoke you've thrown off. It has a pretty interesting history, including a stint as part of the British East Indies Co, check it out here. When I asked Pingle and her friends if we were going to the big parade they looked at me like I was loco. I guess it's the same as their asking me to go to New Year's in Times Square - way too crowded and ultimately not worth it.

So, we're going to go night cycling at around 9pm. We'll rent bikes and ride around somewhere and probably then eat a late supper. Tomorrow morning, we're off to Hanoi.

No comments: