Monday, November 10, 2008

Paris - Day 8

A Look Back at Versailles
Yesterday afternoon I was invited for lunch by a colleague who lives in the village of Versailles, which is about 10 miles southwest of Paris. He lives only 300 yards from the front gates of the Palace of Versailles. We spent 3 hours walking inside the palace and around the grounds.
A view from the side of the palace.

There was a Jeff Koons sculpture exhibition throughout the Palace grounds, which made for a strange juxtaposition.

A view from the back of the palace out to the grand canal. This photo does not capture the scale and grandeur of the place - the grounds extend for miles beyond this photo in all three directions.

The control of nature is evident throughout. The trees are cut in straight lines, creating perfect sight lines that last for miles.
The Hall of Mirrors

A Very French Lunch
As I mentioned, I was invited for lunch and expected nothing less than a typically French meal with many courses. I was not disappointed. First, there was a salad and a red wine. Then, the main meal - veal stew and rice. It was delicious.

Next, three types of cheese.
Then, dessert - a nougat. I had three pieces of this. We ended with a round of coffee and then retired to the livingroom for a cognac. About 3 hrs, end to end.
Dinner at Ace of Falafel
After work I met the Puffin for some dinner at L'As du Falafel, deep in the Jewish section of Le Marais. See the review and pics here.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Great pics. You seem to have a knack for getting the shots. Surprised you got pictures of the luncheon food. What did you say to your host?

FN said...

I told my hosts that I have a blog read by my parents that requires constant updating.... They seemed pleased that I would be taking photos of the food.