Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Singapore - SuperTunnel Opens

Yep, I Have Become an Infrastructure Geek
The new supertunnels outside our condo just opened for business.  Ok, not sure they are "super", that's just my name for them.  To be specific, they are "fly-unders" - roads sunk under other roads so that you don't have to stop at a stoplight.  This particular project was a huge one, costing around 100 million smackers.  Why so much?  They had to sink them under a highway but above the subway.
The improvements are for people who don't want to stop in our neighborhood.  They don't really do much for you if you live here, you still have to take the surface streets.  I guess they lower the traffic on the local streets, though.  As you can see, there is a lot going on.  Tunnels are in orange - subway beneath them and highway above them all.  I took a spin through them at about 2am last night after I finished work.  I thought to myself "100 mil for that?"

No comments: