Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bangkok - Upon Further Review

There Are Some Minor Differences
Now that it's been a few days, I've noticed some differences from my last visit.  A few blocks from our hotel, a reminder of the flood - sand bags on the edge of a canal.  These canals were overrun by the rising waters in most parts of the city.  According to the papers, the real estate prices have risen dramatically in the few neighborhoods that withstood the floods.  Apparently the residents fear more to come.
Next, there are many more security checks.  At the bottom of the subway, you're herded towards a metal detector.
I set this one off but they waved me through without any checking.  Draw your own conclusions.
I thought about the suspicions I might raise by photographing the security set up.  I envisioned being nabbed and questioned for hours and missing lunch.

No comments: