Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bangkok - the Usual

It's All Coming Back to Me Now
After 5 hrs of sleep and breakfast with the girlfriend, I went out for a walk.  It's been two years since my last visit.  While I was away, Bangkok has seen riots, floods and a change of government.  None of it is obvious to an outsider on a short visit, things look just as before.  There are small temples, like this one outside of a coffee shop, with offerings of fresh water, coffee and tea.
The motorcycle taxi queues are as long as ever.
Customers are pulled off the line and whisked away, one at a time.
I love the small, tree shaded lanes.  They buzz with activity and traffic.
The breakfast street vendors pop up early in the morning and are just as quickly replaced by the lunch vendors.  I still feel the same way about this city, it is very likeable.  For a large metropolis it somehow has a small town feel.

No comments: