Friday, May 28, 2010

Miss Singapore Universe 2010

Beauty Definitely is Cultural
With one short phonecall our Mahjong night was canceled and we were off to the Miss Singapore Universe 2010 finals. A friend of Puffin's invited us at the last second so we got all dolled up (ok, I put on a boring suit) and hailed a cab. Her friend's company was one of the sponsors of the event and our table was going to be judging a subsidiary title: "Miss Body Beautiful." Such a tough life I lead....

We sat at a front table that was wedged into the corner formed by the stage and the runway.
I had some cuties at my table: Puffin's friend Tracy and the Girl, herself, with a cutesie hat and...

....a puffy flower earring on her left ear.

As the competition slowly unfolded, we ate our equally slow meal, delivered in small, seemingly unrelated portions.

The ladies at our table were interested in comparing notes. We paged through our guide and studied photos of the sixteen contestants. It was immediately apparent that our ideas about beauty were at odds. They liked the tall, wirey, pelican-looking chicks. I like more body and I showed them by making expansive gestures around my rear and chest. Not to worry, I thought, the old men at my table would agree with me.

As the swimsuit competition started, we studied each girl intensely. This was the basis for awarding "Miss Body Beautiful." When contestant number one came out, the competition was over as far as I was concerned. Nobody was going to top her, she was juicy in all the right ways. Nobody agreed. NOBODY. Not the old men, even. I began to doubt their eyesight. The women looked at me aghast. How could I pick someone so fat? I was overruled - number ten won - a gaunt, stick figure who probably couldn't remember eating in the last two weeks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am right, they are wrong. Take a look at contestant number one for yourselves.

5 comments:

Sal said...

I suppose you've never seen photos of women of a certain tribe in Africa who, to become more beautiful, have lengthened their necks with increasing numbers of necklaces? The photo was in a compilation called The Family of Man.

FN said...

@Sal - yeah, I seen that before. Still doesn't explain liking some skinny stick-figure babes.

MaCherie said...

I'm with you man. She definitely would've had my vote. WOW.

FN said...

@Mach - now I'm in trouble for liking the "fat babe" at the show. My girl now thinks I like fat babes and that is why I must like her and she doesn't want to be fat, lol. Chicks. Can't live with em, can't live without em.

MaCherie said...

That just made me LOL. I didn't even bother showing Helen the video. I get in enough trouble as it is lol.