Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hong Kong - Riding the Tram

Highly Recommended
I first came to Hong Kong two years ago for work. The meetings were not so exciting to say the least. So, to spice up my trip, I left the office one day and jumped on the first tram that came by. I had no idea where it was going but Hong Kong is not so big so I figured it would be hard to get lost. The tram was on the way to Happy Valley, which I later learned is where the horse track is. I enjoyed sitting upstairs in the front window and watching the world go by. Two years later on this pleasure trip I went for another spin.

As you can see, the trams are incredibly narrow. They putter along their tracks in the middle of the street at an old-world pace as the taxis and buses speed by. Some are drab, some are colorfully painted, like the one below. All are cheap. Just 2.5 HK dollars will get you a ride - around 30 US cents. It took me a while to remember the rules. You board at the back and exit from the front, paying as you leave. Luckily, they accept the Octopus card -HK's version of an electronic fare card.

I got a seat up top again. I love the wooden framing and the classic feel you get while bumping along the road. All the windows are wide open - there is no AC on the trams from what I've seen. I got on near Causeway Bay when the tram was empty but it filled quickly as we made our way west towards Central.

I leaned out the window every now and then to take photos, but not too far out - you're liable to be decapitated as you pass other trams. There cannot be more than a three inch gap when they pass. This is the best way to see HK in my opinion. It's a cheap, leisurely way to sightsee.

No comments: