Saturday, January 10, 2009

Singapore - Day 14: Last Day

The Second Leg of the Round the World Trip
By the time you read this I will be in the air on my way to Paris. The prospect of a 65 degree temperature change and waking up alone every morning in the pitch dark is not something to look forward to. I had an excellent time in Singapore - Puff's family and friends treated me so nicely, practically falling over themselves to take me to eat, give me rides and buy me presents. It was a humbling experience - one that makes you appreciate what you have. Thanks Puffin!! This is the first of many more trips to Singapore, if I have anything to say about it.

Old Folks - Get to Work!
There is such a different attitude here towards the elders - more like it should be. Old folks are seen as wise and talented. Just the other day I read an article in the local paper about the government's efforts to dissuade people from retiring at 65. They instituted incentives for companies to retain older workers, to let them make up their own schedule, to make it easy for them to work into their late 60's and early 70's. I suspect it has something to do with easing the burden on the social system. This morning, in Puff's complex I saw a workout station. Only when I got close to it did I realize it was for the elderly.

There are many different stations to work different parts of the body. All the photos showed older folks doing the exercises.


There was a witty saying at each station, usually to do with aging. As you can see, at this station there are activities for carpal tunnel syndrome and arthritis in the hands. What's more, if you are old here you get tons of respect from the younger generation. They call you either "Auntie" or "Uncle" and you get first dibs on most things. Also, it never gets colder than about 75 degrees - not a bad place to grow old, I think.

1 comment:

Sal said...

I like the sound of the attitude towards oldsters. If we're allowed to work or at least do something intellectually or physically challenging as we age, we're likely not to get so soon the disabilities of aging (dull-wittedness, stiffness, depression, etc.). One reason I'm back to Latin class next week. Glad you had a good time; I enjoyed your experience vicariously.