Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Singapore - Day 10

First Day Back at "Work"
I'm officially working from Singapore this week. What that means exactly, I'm not yet sure. We are 13 hrs ahead of NY, so my Monday is NY's Sunday - obviously I couldn't work on a NY Sunday! Now, it is my Tuesday, which is NY's Monday - time to work. While I slept, my crackberry silently gathered Monday's electronic missives. I glance-deleted most before rising for my morning shower. The rest required serious deliberation - something better done on a NY Tuesday.....
On Technology and Infrastructure

One of the benefits of building up your city late in the game is you get to use the most modern technology available. One of the cooler examples I've seen are the variable rate electronic tolls. Every car comes with a cash card reader mounted on the dash. You deposit money on the card and insert it into the reader.
As you drive your car around and head into a toll area, like the one below, the tolls are automatically deducted from your card. As you can see, no waiting in line to throw coins into a basket or inching your car slowly through a gate. Just regular old speeding through.

The tolls vary by time of day - the most expensive obviously being rush hour. The toll amounts flash at the top of the toll entrance. So, for example, the cab ride from downtown to Puff's house increases from the usual S$9.00 to around S$20.00 during rush hour. More than enough of an increase to make you jump on the metro - which is around S$1.50.
A Real Chinese Massage
After dinner we took a five minute walk down Serangoon Ave #2 to a local massage spot. I asked for a back and neck rub - Puffin got the same. I got on the table, stuck my face into the hole and braced. The massages here are way too strong for my liking, though I must admit, I did feel pretty good an hour after it was over. During the ordeal I felt like I was being loosened up for a CIA interrogation. Is it normal for your feet to go numb when someone presses on a sore spot on your back?
A Look Ahead to Friday
This Friday I will be golfing in Batam, an island that is part of Indonesia, with Puff and one of her girlfriends. We got a package deal that includes the 45 minute ferry ride to Batam, transport to the course, greens fees, cart and caddy. I am looking forward to it. Should be hot and sticky and tons of fun.

No comments: