Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Taiwan - Visiting

Continuing our Japanese Theme
Jennifer reminded me a bit of Jennifer Horgan, she knows a lot of people and they all seem happy to see her.  She spends a lot of time in Hualien and knows a lot of B&B owners.  She took us to a B&B in town to visit the owners, who rolled out the red carpet for us.  One of the owners is a retired chef from Taipei - his specialty - Japanese food.  The place was decorated in a Japanese style - all the way into the kitchen where we got to pick our own coffee cup, a tradition I was first introduced to in Kamakura, Japan.
Not unsurprisingly, they made the coffee in a very particular, cool, Japanese fashion.  Of course, it tasted like any other coffee, but the esthetics of its making were more the point, I guess.  I am still baffled by Japanese culture, to be honest.

The decor was a mix of old and new.  In the living room the modern leather chairs surrounded an antique Japanese tea table.  In old times, there would be a small fire underneath the tea pot.
There was another such table in the kitchen - we sat around it while we sipped our coffee.  The owners were puttering around in the kitchen but I wasn't sure what was going on until they plopped down homemade desserts in front of is.  Ginger ice cream, a bowl of local fruits, sesame pudding and a very light sponge cake.
As usual, Dodo went silent when the food arrived.
I didn't say much either, I was too busy eating everything on my plate.

No comments: