Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Taiwan - Morisaka Settlement

It's the Timber, duh!
The Japanese were keen to take over Taiwain in 1895.  When you're in the Taiwanese countryside it's pretty clear why.  First, crop land.  Second, timber.  The Morisaka settlement was built in 1939 by the Japanese at the edge of a large Cypress forest.  They cut down trees inland, floated the stripped trunks downriver and then processed them here, loading them onto railroad cars to be brought to waiting ships.
It's now a historical heritage site.  We toured the grounds on foot as I asked Jennifer more questions about the Japanese.  I got the sense that the Japanese elicited mixed feelings amongst the Taiwanese.  There are many Japanese restaurants here, Japanese food appears to be very popular.  According to Jennifer, the older generation, rather than resent their occupiers, were happy for the law and order the Japanese instilled.  They also improved the school system and general economics of the island.
When I pressed her she admitted that many others wouldn't share that sentiment.  At that point in the questioning I pulled back.  I got the feeling I was touching on a forbidden topic.

4 comments:

Sal said...

What a gorgeous looking building. You're sure having a good time, eh?

FN said...

@Sal - I'm living a slacker's dream life right now.

Sal said...

Ain't it wonderful? I've felt like that for almost all my retirement. No guilt, though: I've given that up.

FN said...

Are you supposed to feel guilty for slacking? I am simply taking advantage of market inefficiencies.