Monday, January 3, 2011

Singapore - Bye for Now

Time to Head Back to Snow and Work
I head back to Paris tonight, arriving there Tue morning.  I had some random shots from this trip to post, so here they are.  This is a Sikh temple in Chinatown.  I was trying out my new tripod for the first time when I took this shot and it didn't come out exactly as I'd hoped.  The darks are too dark and the lights too light.
I had a lot of fun this trip, got to see some new areas, bonded with Dodo's brother a bit and generally relaxed and enjoyed the warm weather.  For the record, I played Mahjong three times, won twice and lost once.  Unfortunately, the one loss was bigger than the two wins, but still, I played ok.  These are some new buildings along the marina, downtown.  I shot this on New Year's eve as we waited for the countdown.
Today we had brunch at a smaller marina near the southernmost tip of the island.  It was a schwanks place where the superrich dock their yachts.  For a Monday morning it was surprisingly packed - I guess more people have today off than I expected.  Outside the marina there was a large, shiny teardrop sculpture that reflected the surroundings.
After brunch we visited the old, original train station downtown.  It's actually owned by Malaysia (for some reason) but was bought by Singapore a few months back.  Once the transfer takes place I've no doubt that it will be razed.  Singapore has little sentimentality for such things.  Yes, they've protected certain older shophouse neighborhoods in Chinatown and Little India but outside of that it is onwards and updwards.  I've already packed my luggage and am sitting in front of the fan, enjoying the humidity.  The Paris darkness and snow will be a shock, but no problem, it's only for three weeks.

No comments: