Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Old Recipe Comes Through...

Old School Chocolate Cake for the Puffin
My grandma W had a famous chocolate cake recipe - thankfully my mom got a copy of it a while back. Now that I am dating a chocoholic, things like this come in handy. I'd never made it - I gave it a shot yesterday. Rather than using the 8-inch square pan recommended, I used two mini-loaf pans. I snagged a butter frosting recipe off the internet, swapped out half the semi-sweet for unsweetened and we were off to the races. I must say, this is a good recipe - the cake is so tender and moist. We pretty much gobbled up one mini-loaf last night. The remaining one is for tonight.

4 comments:

The Puff Speaks... said...

Cake was yummilicious! Yeah to your Grandma's receipe and Yeah to your Mom for writing it down :)

I am one lucky girl! Thanks!

Sal said...

Grandma W never had such festive decorations on this cake! Very stylish, indeed. I was going to ask if you found the flavors even more intense the longer the cake sat, but it sounds like the cake didn't sit for very long, eh?

FN said...

Well, Sal, this one sat for about 24 hrs. We still haven't eaten the second one yet, so we'll let you know. If we eat it today, it will have been 'resting' for about three days....

FN said...

Sal, update on the chocolate cake. We ate it today, 4.5 days after it was made and wow was it better! It was richer and moister.