Saturday, March 14, 2009

Jumping Back into the BK, Deeply So

Q Train to Russia, on the Way to Turkey
I love Brooklyn for its variety of neighborhoods. Whatever you're looking for, we've got it and most of it's easily accessible with just a metrocard. Early this morning I walked over to Park Slope to catch the Q train south. I was looking for a Turkish cafe in Midwood but couldn't remember which stop it was near. I was sure it would come to me once on the train and it did - King's Highway.

King's Highway is like another world. You know it as soon as you get off the train and see the Russian pizza-slash-caviar shop. Not sure if they put the caviar on the pizza or you get both separately. It was closed or I would've tried to find out.
Just a block away, a lady of Eastern European extraction was smoking a cigarette and sunning herself despite the mid-40's chill (that's Farhenheit, folks.) She eyed me warily as soon as I took my camera out and I had to pretend to take some shots of a nearby building before I could snap one of her without her noticing. I was pretty sure I could outrun her, but not that sure.
I was closing in on my Turkish cafe when I noticed a new restaurant on Coney Island Ave. It was called Slavyanskiy Bazar and it specialized in something I like....
Russian style ravioli..... Now I have another reason to jump on the Q train.

No comments: