Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Melbourne vs Sydney

Like New York vs Los Angeles?
Having only spent a few days in each city I'm probably not qualified to opine.  Out on the internet there are plenty of opinions and it was interesting to read the e-arguments between the citizens.  From my point of view, Sydney seems more like the big brother, flush with cash, full of beauty.  Melbourne is the little brother, perhaps with a chip on his shoulder.  You look for the small lane with the quaint coffee shop in Melbourne while you eat in style in Sydney.  Melbourne seems smaller, more laid back, greener and has better public transport.  Sydney has take your breath away sights - it's hard ot beat their harbor.
Melbourne sits mainly inland on a river, though their beaches and bay are just a fews miles away.  Some argue that Sydney is a blonde while Melbourne is a brunette, though I had no personal experience to suggest that.  If you asked me to pick one over the other I don't think I could.  I would have to spend more time in each city.  My hunch, however, is that I would like Melbourne just a bit better. 

2 comments:

Dan said...

seems like a reasonable appraisal

FN said...

@Pops - I wonder if my opinion would change if I had to live in either city... It is really strange to be halfway around the world and be in a place so American. It's just like America with worse sports.