Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Paris - Mosque Planning Failure

I Shoulda Read the Fine Print
Back in Paris fighting the jetlag and my go-to ammunition is to stay away from the apartment until bedtime. I did some research on Google and found an after-work site to check out: the Grande Mosquée de Paris. It's the largest mosque in France and the second largest in Europe, built after WWI as a gesture by France to the muslims from their colonies who fought against Germany. I was looking forward to walking around the beautiful inner courtyard and having some mint tea and pastries at their cafe.

I took the number 7 metro a few stops and easily found it. Its Mudéjar style of architecture made it stand out amongst the usual Paris apartments. I circled it looking for a way in. I found the door to the cafe but wanted to tour the grounds first.

This is as close as I got. Turns out, visiting hours end at 6pm. I'll make my way back on a later date.