Saturday, June 12, 2010

French Boating - Checking out the Vessel

First Things First
Wayne and I started the day in style by having breakfast in the hotel garden. We then headed to the local grocers to pick up some provisions. Henry wasn't sure where we'd be able to get lunch so he suggested we get some bread and cold cuts. The previous night, after much discussion, we'd agreed to get started on our journey at 9am. We quickly learned that Henry isn't much of a morning person as he coaxed us into a later start.

When I first saw the boat I was shocked. It seemed much smaller than 26 feet and sat low in the water. I realized I'd overestimated how big 26 feet is. Henry must have noticed my reaction, he quickly began explaining that it's a racer, not a cruiser - it is designed for maximum speed, not comfort. After crossing the English channel, he had the mast removed and affixed on top of the boat. The mast stuck out on either side by a few feet which would make navigating the locks tricky. Wayne didn't seem bothered. They were all smiles as we readied for our departure. Henry had on dark sunglasses and a pair of sandals and Wayne was clad in all black.

I climbed inside and took a look around. It was even tinier than I'd imagined. In the rear was a twin sized bed, small gas stove and all the electronics and navigational equipment.

Up front was a small sleeping alcove with a porthole above. A miniature toilet divided these two rooms - one that only a small kid could comfortably sit on.

I placed my bags on a narrow padded bench next to Henry's bed and asked as politely as I could "so, where do I sleep?"

"Right there, where you placed your bags" said Henry without looking up. "Wayne will sleep up front." I just stared at it. It was as long as my overnight bag and laptop bag placed end to end and about as wide as a child's coffin. It was then that I reconciled myself to a sleepless weekend.

No comments: