Sunday, June 13, 2010

French Boating - Sunday

Laziness Hits
I awoke at 8pm from a deep sleep and walked over to the boat which was moored 200 meters away. There were no signs of life so I took a stroll around Mâcon. It's a handsome town with winding, cobblestoned streets. Like Paris on a Sunday morning, nothing was open and it was some time before anything did. I ended up at the cafe from the night before sipping coffee and enjoying the warm breezes. Wayne and Henry joined me a few hours later and the fateful conversation began. Henry said "I don't think there are any nearby train stations south of here." It was his way of saying "let's just settle here, enjoy the day and then catch our trains." Nobody disagreed.

Our final boating task was to take the boat 3 kilometers up river to park it in a "Port de Plaisance" - French for "marina." We parked backwards, tied down the boat, washed the dishes and did some general cleaning. Henry then paid for a week's parking and asked the attendant to call us a cab. He dialed every cab company in town - nobody wanted to work on Sunday so we walked back to town along the river. We had lunch at an outdoor brasserie near the town church and then headed to the train station. Henry surprised us one more time "Alright lads, if anyone is looking for me, I'll be back on Thursday." He then jumped on a train to Nice to spend a few days on the beach.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Sorry to see the end of this series Enjoyed them and looked forward to another one each morning. It would be nice if you got out into the countryside more often.
I assume the froggies were devastated by their loss.

FN said...

@Pops - I enjoyed the fresh air and countryside. France has some lovely countryside. The Dodomode and I may take a trip to the south of France when we return in July from NY.