Sunday, October 25, 2009

Tracking Time

Lots of Interesting Clocks
Here's one that uses what sun there is to give you an approximate idea of the time. If I read this one right, it only works from 3pm onwards? I cannot figure out what light it uses at night.... Moon light?


Then of course, there is the most famous clock in the country - it tracks time, seasons and the horoscope. We stared at it for quite some time trying to make sense out of it but couldn't. Take note of the two blue doors at the top - I'll explain those in a bit.

Here's an extreme close-up of the lower clock. Click on this for a close-up view. Is that Latin? I cannot figure it out.

We're not immune to touristy stupidity. I bugged Puffin to come see the striking of the clock at the top of the hour. I only hazily remembered what this was like from my last visit to Prague. We took up a position in a nearby cafe and waited, patiently for half an hour. When the time came, it was a bit of a letdown. The two small blue doors and some wooden saints spun in place.

2 comments:

Sal said...

I saw some words that look Latinish, but I also saw some that look Czechish. Not clear. No explanation at the site, eh?

FN said...

None whatsoever, just those dopey wooden saints spinning on their heels.