Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Paris - Another One Rides the Bus

The Preferred Way to Go
I ride the bus in Paris every day. There is much to love. First, the seats in the front of the bus face towards the back. I have no idea why. I try to sit in them whenever I can and ride backwards to work. It makes for great people-watching, both inside and out. I love the guy staring back at me. Nope, I don't care - I'll take your photo like a tourist with no shame. Another great thing - you can buy a ticket right on the bus and they'll even make change. Try that in NY.

This is my bus stop. It's ultra-modern, with glass all around. We should have these in NY - that way nobody can sneak up on you and jump you.

I have a soft spot in my heart for maps. The bus maps are really well done. They show you the route, the stops and your current location in an easy to understand way

Best of all, however, are the timers in each bus stop that show you how long until the next two buses arrive. This is brilliant and works really well. Sometimes, I may decide not to wait if it's too long.

4 comments:

Sal said...

Wow, pretty good way to run the busses. In the USA, especially in small cities, bus service is declining--certainly doesn't keep up with technology very well. Do the Paris busses run on natural gas yet?

FN said...

@Sal - I don't know if they run on nat gas or not. I'll look into that.

Dan said...

my goodness. nice things to say about how they do things in Paris

FN said...

@Pops - see, I am not totally biased after all.