Friday, October 13, 2017

Quito, Ecuador - The Basilica

Lawyers Ruin Everything
The largest neo-gothic basilica in the New World is two blocks from us.  It was commissioned in 1858 and took 50 years to complete.  We walked over this morning for a look.

We walked up five flights of stairs for a view of the nave.

The organ looked good from a distance....

....but a closer view told a different story. 
We walked up five more flights and it began to get interesting.  They let you walk out on top of the nave under the soaring metal roof.  The wooden walkway squeaked under my feet the way it might if I'd been the one who'd constructed it.  Same thought passed through my mind as I walked across - no way are there many lawyers in Ecuador.

At the end of the walkway we climbed a steep staircase up onto the roof.

The views were impressive but my legs were tingling the whole time.



Dodo the daredevil went even higher, up a rickety staircase into a rear tower.  She told me it was great up there - I took her word for it.

No comments: