Monday, October 23, 2017

Guayaquil, Ecuador - Las Peñas

Another Hill to Climb
Being somewhat groggy from our recent food poisoning, we left this climb to the end of the afternoon.  Four hundred and forty four steps to the top of hill that was the epicenter of the city when the Spanish finally managed to subdue the natives.  For most of the next 300 years it was home to a mix of fishermen and artisans but then the big money moved in with the cocoa boom of the 1920's.  It's now a heritage site and contains many shops, art galleries and bars.
Say what you want about colonialists - they did build some really nice things.

Many of these houses are three hundred years old but look timeless.  Much more attractive than the rest of the city I've seen to this point.

We started the walk up slowly - it was about 90 degrees with 90% humidity,

When I caught sight of the lighthouse and compared it to the step count hammered into each stair, I knew the 444 included a last winding staircase to the top.  My head was pounding and for once, I didn't let my ego get the better of me.  432 would be good enough.

Looking north, up river.  These white buildings in the foreground are reminiscent of parts of Miami, though, strangely they looked modern and dated at the same time.
Along with the lighthouse there was a small chapel and just down the hill one hundred feet a couple of cannons.
Looking south down river.  Our apartment is in one of those high-rises.  Just beyond the last bend of river is the Pacific.  Apparently it's not close enough to help cool things down.
Looking west towards another hump of the neighborhood, unceremoniously pricked with telecommunications towers.
On our way down I thought about having a beer.  Then I thought better of it and had a fresh fruit juice instead.  It will take a few days for me to eat and drink freely - that last bout of food poisoning is taking up a very large portion of my consciousness.

No comments: