Saturday, February 20, 2016

Tokyo - Japanese Practice

Occasional Stuttering Success
I spent a bit of time before the trip learning the two Japanese alphabets - Hiragana and Katakana.  Each has about 100 letters and both are used along with Chinese Kanji (symbols) in written Japanese.  As a result, I would stop and stare at signs like this, an advertisement written in both Katakana (first line) and Hiragana (second line.)  I translates into "starting point" though I have no idea what the chickens have to do with it.


I bought some manga (comics) to practice.  I went to manga ground zero - the Animate building in Ikebukuru.  7 floors of manga of all kinds. I sent this photo to Delbert and he almost fainted with excitement.

I really had no idea what to get - I was totally overwhelmed by the choices.  I have yet to try it out.  My spoken Japanese has definitely improved - especially since it was close to zero before.  I was able to order food, tell the taxis where to go and understand numbers when the shopkeepers told me a price.

No comments: