Saturday, February 27, 2016

London - Bus Rides Part 1

Brixton
We are staying in the posh neighborhood of Kensington.  If you only walked around here you could be fooled into thinking all of London is dripping with money.  I sought out some regular neighborhoods by bus, the first one the epicenter of rioting in the early 80's.  Much of the music I listened to at that time was coming out of London and it referenced those riots in Brixton.

One of the songs was called "Electric Avenue" by Eddie Grant and I didn't realize it was an actual street until today.  Back then it was a neighborhood of immigrants of Caribbean or African descent and they still make up the majority but I heard Chinese, Spanish and Italian as I walked around.  

Just outside the Brixton tube station was a tribute to David Bowie who died last month.  There were hundreds of bouquets and tributes written on the wall.  I learned he was born in Brixton just after WWII.

No comments: