Sunday, February 21, 2016

London - Touchdown in Kensington

Trying to Adjust the Brain
I've never been a big fan of London and coming here from Tokyo doesn't help.  I had to have a talk with myself this morning to adjust my attitude.  Few get to travel for work, I am staying and eating for free so make the most of it, I told myself.  I am staying near the Earl's Court tube station in SW London, a ten minute walk from Hyde park.  This is a shot from my hotel.



I took a walk around the hood, including a short stint in Hyde Park.  It's the usual Brit weather, cool, grey, rainy,  My Costa Rican colleagues have yet to arrive, there are three of them joining me.
Ten minutes east of me is the "french" neighborhood, so-named because of the Lycee Francais and the various French cafes, boulangeries, and restaurants that have popped up around it.  I stopped in one for breakfast.

I was honest when asked by the waiter - the coffee was good but the croissant was just ok.  He pressed me for details and I just shrugged and said " I lived in Paris for three years."  He smiled and said "Say no more."

Just when my attitude was beginning to turn, I arrived back at my hotel to see a bunch of drunken football fans being arrested outside a pub.  Around the corner was another peeing against a building in broad daylight.  Let's compare and contrast - just a few days before Kevin lost his wallet near our apartment in Tokyo.  He and Jean went to the nearest police station, where of course, it was waiting for them.  Someone had found it, stopped what they were doing, and immediately taken it to the nearest station.

No comments: