Monday, August 1, 2011

Singapore - Last Minute Scramble

The Strike Strikes Again, Sorta
Knowing that Air France was planning a strike this past week, I switched my flight to Singapore Airlines.  Dodo was on that same flight so it worked out well.  At least that's what I thought.  When we arrived at the airport, Singapore Airlines told me that my ticket had been canceled and refunded by my company's travel agency!  No reason whatsoever, just human error.  I had to scramble and buy a ticket.  You won't believe the price - about 10k!  So, here's what ten thousand smackers buys you....
Huge you-can-fit-two-people-in-one seats.  Dodo was right next to me and we coulda fit two more people, I believe.  Each seat turned into a fully flat bed with sheets, covers, two pillows, etc.  The staff were at our beck and call.  As we waited for the food to arrive we watched movies.  I went for as many Hong Kong crime thrillers as I could find, I love those.
First up, their famous satay that Dodo raves about.  Mutton and chicken.  Not bad.
Next, prawns on top of a bed of shredded apple, celery and onion.  I quite liked this.
My favorite was the thai spicy chicken.  It burned all the way and was terrific.  The flight was 12 hrs so it was around $800/hr.  I hope my boss doesn't have a heart attack when he sees my expense report!  We landed this morning (Monday) at 6am Singapore time, had breakfast and then slept for a bit.  Now, I am in the rental apartment, next to the window, doing work.  I am about to join a conference call with the Frenchies.  The windows are open, a breeze is blowing and it's around 80 degrees.....

No comments: