Sunday, July 3, 2011

Becoming a Chauffeur - Part 3

Taking the Written Test
I don't remember studying for this test the first time I took it around 20 or so years ago.  The study materials are on the internet now and I perused them and took some practice quizzes.  The stakes are much higher, how embarrassing would it be to fail this test at age 45.  Matter of fact, I was determined to get a perfect score so I studied for a few hours.  When the day arrived, Sal drove me over to the DMV and waited for me in the parking lot.  When I walked in I almost feinted, there were about 400 people sitting there.
Luckily, only about five of those 400 were there to take the test. Within minutes I'd filled out all the paperwork and was in the classroom with four teenagers.  We spent ten minutes answering the 20 multiple choice questions and waited as a sour-faced women graded them. "Well, you all passed" she barked, with a disappointed gravelly voice.  When she called me up to the desk, she whispered "you got a hundred, which I expected from someone with, ummm, your experience."  I got my interim permit and immediately went home and signed up for the mandatory 5 hr class for the next day.

No comments: