Saturday, June 13, 2009

Walking in the 11th

Looking for Nothing in Particular
I took a long walk this morning in the 11th (where I work) to familiarize myself with the area. I walked over from my neighborhood in the 3rd and after about an hr of walking I saw some interesting street art. Pret a porter means "ready to wear." It portrays the best way for a man to see the city - but I didn't have Ping-Ping here to carry me.....


I found a cupcake store that some commenters recommended to me. I wrote it up here. On my way back from cupcakes and coffee I stumbled into an interesting park. It was small - perhaps 40 yards square. What was fascinating about it was the density of the greenery and the fact that there were only a few walkways across it.

One enjoys the park from the outer ring or by walking through one of the walkways. About 90% of it was inaccesible. I cannot imagine this being allowed in NYC - people would be up in arms. I sat on a bench and enjoyed the fragrances and quiet.
Here's an overhead shot from Google maps.

I finished the day off by playing 9 holes of golf with Laurent and two of his buddies: Cyrille and Tomas. We played in a small suburb to the west of Paris called St Cloud (pronounced "san cloo".) The course was inside a racehorse track - which was pretty amazing. I didn't have my camera with me, next time. We teed off at 6pm and were done about 8:30pm and then had a few beers. That was when I experienced the biggest culture shock of all. When we were saying our goodbyes, the fellas gave me a kiss on each cheek. Yep, even the men do that here if they are close friends. Caught me off guard. I guess that means they like me? Oh boy......

No comments: