Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Night at the Movies

Putting a Poor Grasp of Languages to the Test
Tonight, on a whim, I went to the movies to see the latest Almodovar film called "Etreintes Brisees." I imagine it will be called Broken Embraces when it hits the States, if it hasn't already. This was a first for me - watching a film in Spanish that was subtitled in French. In other words, I couldn't cheat. It put all 22 of my neurons on overdrive.

As you can imagine, my Spanish is pretty rusty and I only speak cafe French. At times I understood the Spanish perfectly and looked at the French subtitles when I didn't. I can't say that reading French while listening to Spanish while also trying to keep an eye on the action worked all that well. When Penelope Cruz was topless I lost track of everything. I'm pretty sure I caught all the major plot lines and important dialogue but until I watch it with English subtitles, I really won't know, will I?

2 comments:

The Puff Speaks... said...

Did you watch the movie for the story or for topless Penelope Cruz?? (Hmm.. raising eyebrows.. :))

FN said...

I watched for the story, Dodo. However, they threw in some free tits....