Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Trying to Pay off the Bet

But It's Getting Harder and Harder...
A while back I lost a bet with Ping Ping, the payoff of which was to learn to play "Mary Had a Little Lamb" on the violin. I was in no rush to pay off so Ping Ping went on Craigslist and found me a teacher from Brooklyn College. I emailed back and forth with the teacher around 17 times to find a convenient date. Last Friday was lesson one. We jumped on the 5 train to the end and took a one-block walk to campus. Strange the way life works out - turns out the teacher was a young man from Paris here in NYC to get a masters in violin. He took one look at me and asked "where eez yore violin?"

Honestly, my first thought was "goddamned disorganized French people!!" Seventeen emails and the guy doesn't bother to tell me I need to bring my own violin. Anyway, we head upstairs to Gershwin Hall and he unpacked his 300 year old violin. He looked uneasy letting me use it so I asked him what most students do. He recommended that I rent a violin, which I could do for around $40/month. I suggested that we cancel the first class and that I would reach out to him after I rented a violin. Problem is, I am headed back to Paris in 10 days for about 2 months.......

2 comments:

Sal said...

Did you or did you not take some violin lessons when in primary school? I seem to remember bugging someone to practice.

FN said...

Yeah, for 2 weeks according to Dad....