Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Walk in the 10th

There is a Canal Here!
I knew there was a canal in Paris, but when I finally took a stroll over to see it, I was taken aback by its scale. It carves a deep, wide path through the 10th and even has functioning locks. Every 100 yards or so are footbridges that arc over to allow crossings.


I climbed one of the footbridges to take a shot of the canal from above. Note how wide it is. I didn't find much about it online - Wikipedia was sadly lacking in details. It was created by Napoleon during the late 1800s and from looking at the map it creates a shortcut in the Seine from an upper branch to a lower branch.

As I continued my stroll around the 10th, I saw another cool piece of street art. This one is a cow made from small tiles placed high on the cornerstone of a building.

No comments: