Friday, March 4, 2016

Paris Getaway - Part 1

Twin Birthday Celebration
I found out that Joseph, one of my Costa Rica colleagues, had a birthday a few days after mine so I suggested we all go to Paris to celebrate for the weekend.  I didn't expect them to accept, I figured I would be going alone.  Joseph had been to Paris a few times and he talked the others into checking it out for the first time.


We arrived at St. Pancras Station in London with an hour and a half to spare but the line was ridiculously long.  We barely made our train.  A lot of Frenchies working in London must go home for the weekends.

We arrived a quick 2 1/2 hours later to the usual rainy, cold winter weather.  As expected, none of the ATMs in the Gare du Nord station had any cash.  I luckily had 15 Euros left over from a previous visit for the cab ride or we might have been walking in the cold rain.  I stayed in a small apartment on Rue des Rosiers, below, that I rented on AirBNB.  They stayed in a small hotel a ten minute walk away.

I was lucky to have picked an apartment that was recently remodeled.  It was small, but modern.

The only thing left over from the original building were the ancient timbers left exposed in the ceiling.

Bed was comfortable, if kind of hard.

No comments: