Sunday, March 4, 2012

Singapore - Tokyo Tower Update

This One's for Geppie
Yes, finally, I have begun to paint.  A color called cobalt grey.  I felt a lot of pressure while I had the brush in my hand.  My girlfriend has been clowning me, exclaiming to family and friends that "he's gonna do it HIMSELF??!?!?"  Apparently, it's just not done here.  You always hire a pro to paint.
Just two walls in the living room.  Why just two walls?  I have no idea - I am making it up as I go along.  As you can see, we still have no tv console.
I never know if I'll like a color until I paint and see.  I am happy with this one.  It darkens the room a bit.
It also works well with the old bench we got for our dining room table.  The bench is a rehab job - from India.  It drops little flecks of paint - about as much as my girlfriend drops hair.  Gives something for our vacuum robot to do.

The mirror is from India as well.  Every person that comes into my house tells me it's bad feng shui to have a mirror facing a window.  In Asia, feng shui is deadly serious.  I am inviting bad luck, ill health and all kinds of other maladies.  My response "it only works if you believe in it."

Clearly I do not believe in it.  The mirror is there to create an illusion of greater space.  This is a small apartment, illusion outweighs feng shui.

Up on the roof we now have two teak tables, placed end to end.  They're made from teak rescued from demolition, which means they have interesting nail holes and gouges.  They are rough, outdoor tables.
I stained them with the heartiest stain available but after seeing them get rained on a few days in a row I'm considering covering them with plexiglass or some kind of glossy, polyurethane finish.  The jury is still out on that thought.  The chairs arrive this Friday, just in time for our Sunday party - loosely titled "The Great Kimchi Coming Out Party."  We will finally be breaking out the kimchi we made in South Korea in December.

2 comments:

Sal said...

I like the warm grey you used in the LR. It's so funny to hear that you need a darker color to tone down the sunlight! I understand it, of course, but it's the opposite of what I do all the time: work to let the sunlight IN. :-)

FN said...

Sal, we got sunlight for days.... The sun starts shining in at 7am and doesn't stop coming directly through the Eastern side of the apartment until 1pm.