Sunday, March 18, 2012

Milan - Trams

The Best Way to Get Around
The best thing about Milan is the coffee.  Next best are the trams.  The kind that run on rails using overhead electrical wires for power.  I preferred these old dinosaurs.
The new ones were sleek and modern but they are covered with garish advertising, ruining the sightseeing.  I didn't get on one of these.
I only rode the old ones.  Just look how cool.  No heat, no a/c, just good old fashioned craftsmanship.  So loud that you cannot hear yourself think.  I felt my cavities rattling inside my head.
The seats are made from wood and are worn in the right spots.
The old ticket machines are there for looks.  Tourists kept trying to feed their ticket into the undersized slot, puzzled looks on their faces, until they finally realized the modern ticket taking machines were up front.

The straps are real leather.
Even the windows ratchet up and down one notch at a time.
I was not sure what this meant, it was pasted on all the window sills.  I later looked it up - "No Leaning."
You wait for the tram on the street, near these signs, which show the upcoming stops.  I rode them all weekend long.

No comments: