Friday, June 3, 2011

Dallas - Graduation Part I

Allow Me to Set the Stage, So to Speak
The number bounced around inside my head like an anvil, crushing all hope.  Seven hundred and sixty two kids graduating.  So many that the graduation was being held in a professional auditorium usually reserved for public executions.   We were in for our own slow death.  First the speeches, then more speeches.....
First things first, stand up rod-straight, stare at the flag and repeat the pledge of allegiance, then sing along to the national anthem then hand over heart for some god-save-Texas crap.  I looked in their faces, they were all scared, scared of the torture that awaited.  I however, wore a smirk.  I had a secret weapon - code named Kindle.
They were stuck feigning interest or worse - reading along as each of the seven hundred odd names were being called.  I paged through the NY Times, reading each article as if I were being paid by the word.

5 comments:

Sal said...

It was really 725 graduates, but only (only!) 700 were actually there. It just seemed like 762.

FN said...

@Sal - if you say so. It was a lot, whatever the number!

MaCherie said...

Mom is the only one who looks like she was moderately enjoying the graduation-all 3 hours of it.

FN said...

@Mach - I agree, but it was her baby... So, I don't blame her.

MaCherie said...

True story. Were the rest of the "poser pics" taken with your camera? If so would you mind emailing them out?