Sunday, June 12, 2011

Brooklyn - A Day in Williamsburg

I Take NYC for Granted, I Think
It's finally hit me, I'm leaving NYC.  When I first got here I wandered.  I discovered my new home on foot, one block at a time.  As the years passed I became less interested.  I'd go straight from home to office and back and convinced myself I loved it here because of what I could do if I ever had the inclination.  Now, as I prepare to leave, I have that old feeling again.  I jumped on the train to Williamsburg for no particular reason and spent the day exploring. 
I visited a cool magazine store and bought an art/design magazine that had an interesting profile of visual artists in Tokyo.  I took it to a small deli and sat in the window, flipping through it and people-watching.  I later walked around, popping into and out of shops, galleries and restaurants, sampling as I went.  I took note of a cool bar/restaurant to take my Paris colleagues in a few weeks; they're coming over for some meetings.  I took a few photos but mostly I just enjoyed the moment.

3 comments:

Sal said...

Kind of bittersweet, ain't it? Maybe when you live in a place for a long time, you stop noticing all the nifty things. I suppose that makes the case for change. As Muriel says, "Change is good as long as I don't have to do anything different."
(Thanks Mach, for reading me so well.)

FN said...

@Sal - I hope my couple of years in Singapore will reignite my love of NYC. You never know, maybe I won't miss it so much. I am about to find out.

pirate said...

Do it again just before you leave. Nice post.