Friday, January 1, 2010

Learning a Classic Recipe

From the Master
From all accounts, Pingle's aunt is one of the best cooks in the family. I expressed a desire to learn how to make a dish called fried Bee Hoon, which is just vermicelli, wok-fried, with some seafood and veggies added. It's a simple dish, supposedly. That is, until I got my lesson.

Today was the day. Pingle's aunt would make a batch and let me watch and then I would make my own batch. I didn't know that Pingles was inviting her mom and some of her friends to try. There wasn't much pressure, however, since little is expected of me.

Her aunt cooks from memory without and recipe or measurements. So, as I watched, I memorized what she did, what she used and how much and wrote it down later. She stood by my side as I made my batch, offering suggestions and tips.

The Sauce
Oyster sauce (tsp)
Fish sauce (couple tblsps)
Sesame oil (couple tblsps)
Water (couple tblsps)
Salt (dash)
Sugar

The Goodies
Shrimp
Fish cake
Squid

Step One
Soak the bee hoon (vermicelli) in cold water for two hours then drain.

Step Two
In a wok, heat on high.
4 tbsp oil
Add in chopped garlic, fry but don't let it burn.
Add in "the Goodies", fry for a bit.
Add enough water to barely cover.
Add in "the Sauce"
Stir, taste, adjust flavor if necessary.
Remove all to a pot.

Step Three
In a wok, heat lower than before.
4 tbsp oil
Add in chopped garlic, fry but don't let it burn.
Add in 4 eggs, scrambled.
Fry, chop eggs up like scrambled eggs.
Add in bee hoon, stir, turn and pull (meaning pull up on bee hoon to loosen it from itself)
Add "all" back in (that was removed at end of step 2)
Stir and turn, ensuring all the bee hoon gets moist from the 'all'
Cover for 1-2 minutes (until most of the water has been absorbed by the bee hoon)
Stir and turn.
Taste.
Add in chopped spring onion.
Stir and turn.

The Results
I'm not experienced enough to know how it's supposed to taste or how firm the noodles should be. Tasted ok to me. Everyone ate it, nobody complained. In Singapore, if you get no complaints that's a good sign. It's not a place where you get a lot of praise. If someone says "not bad" then you can be happy with the outcome. According to Pingles "I would be happy if I made bee hoon like this." Enough said. Now, let's see if I can do it on my own in the future.

3 comments:

The Puff Speaks... said...

I said it tasted great.. but he didn't believe me.

Unknown said...

Try reverse psychology next time?

MaCherie said...

I think you should come visit us in Fresno when we get settled in, and you can try all your new dishes out on us. I'm sure they'll be great!! :-)